PE and Sport Premium
In April 2013 the government is providing additional funding to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding has been jointly allocated by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport.
The DfE have confirmed that the PE and Sport Premium funding will continue year on year to primary schools until 2020
The funding has been provided to ensure impact against the following OBJECTIVE:
To achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport in primary schools. It is important to emphasise that the focus of spending must lead to long lasting impact against the vision (above) that will live on well beyond the Primary PE and Sport Premium funding.
It is expected that schools will see an improvement against the following 5 key indicators:
- To engage all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
- To raise the profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- To increase confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- To offer a broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- To increase participation in competitive sport internally and at external clubs
- To improve playground facilities and resources
The national curriculum for PE aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities.
- Are physically active for sustained periods of time.
- Engage in competitive sports and activities.
- Lead healthy, active lives.
- Specific reference to Swimming and water safety, Dance, Outdoor and adventurous activities (KS2 only)
The Oaks Primary School will use the PE Grant to address the following areas beyond the 2 hours of weekly PE Provision :
- Increase the range of activities available;
- Supporting and engaging children who:
- Have lower attendance levels;
- Are on the Pupil Premium Register;
- Are underachieving in other areas.
- Improve resources and equipment to support the development of the PE